Bay to Birdwood parade a no-go
The 2021 Bay to Birdwood – one of the world’s great historic motoring events – will not take place as originally planned this year.
The decision not to hold the parade and gatherings on Sunday 26 September was made in consultation with SA Health, with organisers of the Bay to Birdwood announcing the difficult decision a year after The Bay to Birdwood delivered one of the first large-scale public events as Australia emerged from last year’s lockdown.
National Motor Museum Director Paul Rees said the health and well-being of the public is their number one priority. “The Bay to Birdwood is a large public event, and with growing uncertainty around Australia and with over 20% of our participants registering from interstate we know that keeping South Australians safe is our most important job right now.”
“We are extremely disappointed that participants with their 1500 historic vehicles and the large crowd of spectators along the 72 km route from West Beach to Birdwood, which was of around 70,000 last year, will miss out on our traditional event this year,” said Rees. “We do have a range of engaging activities planned for Sunday 26 September though, and motoring enthusiasts will still be able to celebrate the Bay to Birdwood from home on the day.”
Further details of the activities planned for the 2021 Bay to Birdwood will be announced soon.
For media enquiries, to organise photo opportunities or interviews please contact:
Belinda Petersen, 0402 358 000, email@example.com
Elly Mitchell, 0408 342 604, firstname.lastname@example.org